Have read lots of posts from people whose visual editor has stopped working. I had a similar problem and wanted to present my solution for those still having this problem. I had this when I installed both locally and also remotely and after searching on my ISP's help forum I found the solution that solved the problem.
Sometimes when generating your database, a colon (:) gets inserted into the blog URL address. Strangely, this has been shown to be a cause of the VISUAL EDITOR not working.
To check and fix:
1) In your WordPress Dashboard, click on SETTINGS
2) Look under GENERAL
3) If your WORDPRESS ADDRESS URL looks like this: http://www.example/:blog then this is the cause of the problem
4) Remove the colon ":'
5) Repeat for SITE ADDRESS if the problem is there
Hope that helps! Jonathan
The blog I need help with is jjnewman.wordpress.com.