My tips would be the following:
- Write about something you are passionate about.
- Write for YOU, show your passion for writing, readers you pick up after that are ALL bonus.(you are writing for PEOPLE not stats after all!)
- Write often.
- Include photos if appropriate
- Include humour.
- Fill in your "About" page, it's the place I first go to on a blog after reading the post that drew me in...(I hear lot of other people do the same)
- Follow other Bloggers who have similar interests to yours, and I mean FOLLOW, not just pop in to leave one comment and then never return.
- make meaningful comments, ( NOT just "liked it") and get to know the people you are following, they will in turn want to get to know you.
- Be open to new ideas and views... (I posted http://kiwidutch.wordpress.com/2010/05/11/how-i-choose-to-furnish-my-life/) and one of the comments opened up an entirely different way of looking at the subject that then one I posted, It sparked discussion and gave ME a new perspective.
- Credit other Bloggers if a post they made sparks and idea for one you want to write ( see above link for an example of this too).
- Have a "stash" of ideas for blog posts and save them as drafts, fine tune them to finished state and keep them for days when you are suffering writers block / when you are travelling and can't post / have family stuff going on 200% / or you are sick....
- Use the "scheduled" feature so that your posts go out the same time of day (any time of your choice) my readers don't have to guess when my next post will be .
- BIGGEST TIP for last is " Content, Content, Content, Content, Content, Content, Content, Content, Content, Content, Content, Content, Content, Content, Content, Content, Content, Content, Content, Content,.....
I can't emphasize that last one ENOUGH... recycling the same old-same old is BORING, people won't come back.
Aim high, try and write creatively.. in depth, do some research, check facts.
Do you want to open 500 post that only say" Volcano stops air traffic in Europe" and nothing else,?Duh we know that information already from about 20 000 sources... or do you find it interesting to read personal accounts, the sad the funny, the personal, the insider story?
Heres my Volcano story...
Having a "twist" on a theme often makes a story and very often the most unlikely posts will be the most popular.
- Have FUN blogging.. it WILL eat TIME, but if you love it, then it's great, if it's a burden and a chore then maybe Blogging isn't for you.
Have a Go and have FUN.. WELCOME to the Bloggosphere! :)