Where can I find FTP host address & zip of db file to move site to another host
I’m trying to move my WordPress.com acct. to NetworkSolutions. They need IP or FTP host address plus a zip file of the database to take it. I don’t know where to find that info. Help please. Thanks.
The blog I need help with is chitownjazzfestival.org.
We cannot access the database for free hosted WordPress.com blogs. To move your content you need to create an XML export file of your content. It will not include the theme as they cannot be exported. See 3 below.
WordPress.com and WordPress.org are completely separate.
1. Hire a web host http://wordpress.org/hosting/
3. Export your content out of your WordPress.com blog http://en.support.wordpress.com/export/ and import it into the install.
4. Purchase a site redirect upgrade from wordpress.com
http://en.support.wordpress.com/site-redirect/ or if you have domain mapping then update the nameservers http://en.support.wordpress.com/domains/domain-management/
5. Transfer subscribers and stats. See http://en.support.wordpress.com/moving-a-blog/moving-your-subscribers/
6. Set your wordpress.com blog visibility to private. To change blog visibility to private go to > Settings > Reading scroll to Blog Visibility and choose option 3 . See the guide here http://en.support.wordpress.com/settings/privacy-settings/
Alternatively you can purchase a Guided Transfer and Staff will do the move and set up for you http://en.support.wordpress.com/guided-transfer/
NOTE: WordPress.com and WordPress.org have different log-ins and run different versions of themes with same names. If you don’t have a username account at WordPress.ORG click http://wordpress.org/support/ and register one on the top right hand corner of the page that opens, so you can post to the support forums there and receive advice from WordPress.ORG bloggers.
It sounds like they are asking for the type of data they would need if you were moving from a self hosted WordPress site. However, that isn’t the same method you would use to export a WordPress.com site and import it into a self-hosted WordPress site.
Here is our page on exporting your site:
We also have a professional service if you feel that you’d like a little help:
Take a look through those pages and let me know if you have any further questions. I’ll be happy to help.
The topic ‘Where can I find FTP host address & zip of db file to move site to another host’ is closed to new replies.