Hi WP Bloggers! I am new hear (and glad) but have a problem I need resolved with the installation process of WordPress. I know I have it here at WP.com, but I started out by downloading it and the instructions in the “Read ME” doc are confusing (if your not familiar with computer language) and the links they give in them so the ‘wp-admin/install.php’ will open up in a browser to continue the process only open up to tell you the page I am trying to view cannot be displayed.
Here are the instructions:
1. Unzip the package in an empty directory and upload everything.
2. Open “wp-admin/install.php” in your browser. It will take you through the process to set up a wp-config.php file with your database connection details.
a. If for some reason this doesn’t work, don’t worry. It doesn’t work on all web hosts. Open up wp-config-sample.php with a text editor like WordPad or similar and fill in your database connection details.
b. Save the file as wp-config.php and upload it.
c. Open “wp-admin/install.php” in your browser.
3. Once the configuration file is set up, the installer will set up the tables needed for your blog. If there is an error, double check your wp-config.php file, and try again. If it fails again, please go to the support forums with as much data as you can gather.
4. If you did not enter a password, note the password given to you. If you did not provide a username, it will be admin.
5. The installer should then send you to the “login” page. Sign in with the username and password you chose during the installation. If a password was generated for you, you can then click on ‘Profile’ to change the password.
All things in parenthesis are links that are supposed to open up into browsers. They say if all this it doesn’t work do it manually. In 2a I opened in WordPad…and then what. Fill in DBC details..where are they, and then Save the file as ‘wp-admin/install.php and upload it….to where, and how do I upload from a text editor. Oh, and then they say once I have accomplished that I should be able to open that file up in a browser.
I have been trying to get to the installer forever but that is near impossible if you can’t open up things like they are supposed to be open. I really need some help here cause I have WP downloaded and unzipped to a folder but cannot use it. Pls don’t tell me to just use the site. I promise I will but I would really like to know what is wrong with these instructions and WHY they didn’t just simply supply an installer like most programs. This install is meant for really smart people that are used to playing in text documents with funny words. Thanks to all who have taken the time to read this and maybe give me some help. Crescensia
You did not specify a blog address or reason for posting when you created this topic.
This support forum is for blogs hosted at WordPress.com. If your question is about a self-hosted WordPress blog then you’ll find help at the WordPress.org forums.
If you don’t understand the difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org, you may find this information helpful.
If you forgot to include a link to your blog, you can reply and include it below. It’ll help people to answer your question.
This is an automated message.
Sorry, but we support WP.com blogging; for answers to install questions and other WP.ORG questions, you have to ask at WordPress.ORG.
The topic ‘WordPress Installation’ is closed to new replies.