wordpress.com as referrer

• Author

ingridcc

I am slowly getting more upset about this as I realize how important my stats have been to me–I put a lot of hard work into my blog which is primarily a “how-to” blog in a narrow craft niche, I spend a huge amt of time and effort on making and improving my tutorials, and my main feedback is my stats, only a few of the “users” ever comment.
    So seeing my stats gradually going up to something starting from nothing over the last 9 months is a visceral, daily reinforcement that my stuff is getting out there…This weird wordpress.com stat inflation will hide my real stat growth. Seems like from now on my monthly totals will have this weird padding of “visits” that I don’t believe are real. If they were real, why wouldn’t they show up as page views? If an Rss feed registers as a visit regardless of whether a real person looked at the feed, I don’t want to know about it. I want to know that a real person came and which page s/he looked at.

timethief

I use sitemeter and have used it for years so I’m not upset as those who don’t use free non-JavaScript visitor tracking on their blogs. If you would like to try using one scroll sown to “visitor tracking” on this page.

spinningstar

Sorry TimeThief – referencing to your own blog and other services such as site meter is not appropiate for this discussion.

And I think that if we decide to use WordPress, we should expect adequate support from them.

I may be using WP as a free service right now, but I am also evaluating whether to use WP for other purposes. If they do not respond in a timely fashion on this issue as well as other recent issues, I do have to question whether to buy into their services.

I also have to question my referral of WP over other services. It’s a shame, since I started with WP based on comments of bloggers.

ismailimail

This has been a total disaster from support perspective. I’ve been blogging here since 2006 and this is the first I have encountered where the host broke something major and have no explanation whatsoever for three straight days. It is actually unbelievable based on the past history.

timethief

@spinningstar
    I have always used sitemeter and I’m using it now just like teamoyeniyi because I am solution orientated I do want to see what’s going on. If you don’t want to use it that’s up to you. I simply made the suggestion.I can save you the trouble of rabbit hopping into every thread on this issue only to find that there is no additional information for Staff. Sadly, there is no “news” from Staff that I haven’t already made you aware of. :(

ismailimail

ingridcc, you are absolutely correct. I am on the same boat. My blog has built the stats for many years and I treasure the days when it received the highest page views. Now, all of a sudden, they don’t mean anything. I am hopeful that whenever staff gets to resolving this issue, they will … (a) eliminate the extra page views, or (b) increase the past stats to match up with the present. I will have a very hard time accepting any other solution. I don’t think everyone realizes what is at stake here, except for those who understand what it takes to live with your stats on daily basis for long time.

timethief

@ismailimail
    Are you running a third party stats program so you can compare and contrast what’s going on on your blog?

P.S. In my case as I did not apply to have my blog in the AdControl Program when I could have over a year and 1/2 ago now, and as I blog only as a hobby, and as none of my subscribers are heading to unknown parts I nothing is “at stake” for me.

ismailimail

timethief, I can’t use third-party free product because of the limitation they have on log quota. I have tried statscounter in the past and based on my daily page-views, it recycles the log within few hours.

timethief

I do hope everyone posting here is aware that all WordPress.com blogs are quantified and those metrics are available to us. http://quantcast.com

ismailimail

I understand that for hobbyist, the increase in number could possibly be a good news. But it is of no help to blog like mine, in fact it is frustrating. I recently saw in a news somewhere that WordPress.com (not .org) is going to be offering Ads option for the bloggers. I hope that this change in the stats is not because of that and I hope they’re not bumping the numbers so people may become eligible for Ads on their blogs. I would want an opt-out option if that’s where this platform is heading.

ingridcc

Timethief, thank you for your suggestion of Sitemeter, I am still a newbie with blogs and appreciate any tips I can get, and really appreciate all the time you have spent answering questions of mine here in the forums. I don’t even know what a blog being “quantified” means (as something other than our stats reports) or “metrics”, will follow your link and check it out. I got a “flagmeter” after seeing a mention of that somewhere in these forums, and have noticed that its daily stats don’t always match the WP ones, and they don’t have the month by month or week by week comparison bars– I like those features in the wp stats, visually appealing and easy to understand…

matt
    Staff

Hey guys — founder of WordPress.com here.

Good news: We’ve historically been vastly undercounting your stats, and we’re starting to fix this.

Bad news: There are some bugs with how things add up, meaning that they don’t. I apologize for undue excitement this may have caused.

More good news: Although support is closed, we’re working on this. We’ll fix it ASAP.

ismailimail

Matt, past stats needs to match up with the future stats.

kwesiwa

Matt:

Thank you for posting an update and addressing our concerns. It got really quiet here for a moment (when support had not chimed in), which as we all know is not how WP.com operates. We look forward to the fix.

ingridcc

Thank you for the update Matt. I hope after you guys sort out the bugs that you clearly explain the new counts to un-savvy bloggers like me.

ismailimail–I’m thinking if there is a clean break in the stats history, with new criteria and counting methods starting today, maybe it won’t be so bad, esp if there is a notation or something at that date in our stat hist like *statistics now incorporate rss data….or whatever it is that is new.

What I hope is that the new data are explained to us and quantified in their OWN sub-box so I can discount them or not if I don’t feel they are “real” (as in a real person looking at my real words).

I want to know how a count of an rss view is made—is it just made by a user going to the page that has all her feeds? even if she doesn’t look at my post? All my posts are now set up to go in feeds as summaries only, so if no one clicks to go to my site, it literally means they chose to NOT read my post, so I do not want to count that as a “view”. And even if my post appeared in its entirety on feeds, from what I understand, I would still have no clue as to whether the person even looked at it or not…
    I would appreciate having a one-time indication if someone has added my blog to their feed, but not a ‘view count’ every time they access their feed reader without coming to my blog…

My thanks to Matt as well for supplying at least a partial update. Once we get further along and the “off-site” is complete, I hope someone will explain just exactly what or whom a “wordpress.com referrer” is. I can contemplate a number of options, but perhaps a real explanation would help.

matt
    Staff

No problem, sorry this is so confusing. It’s actually not just RSS so don’t get stuck on that idea, but in general you probably have more readers than we were previously representing through our legacy stats.

I echo some of the concerns here — not wanting “false” page views — i.e. counting appearances on feeds that are not clicked on. Also I am not particularly tech savvy, so I don’t know if my next question is even a possibility as a potential issue. That said, I also don’t want any clicks double counted — counted as a click (a real click) from a feed and also counted the old way.

spinningstar

Thanks Matt for getting in on this, BUT, what’s your definition of “ASAP”.

Is it within a couple days of now or a couple days after 10/29 or whenever?

Based on a recommendation of one of your volunteers, i signed up for sitemeter. So far, their stats seem to track with WP minus the WP.com referrer hits. So, what the heck is the reason for the increased traffic?

So, we can’t go to the basic “dashboard home” to find the hits for the day. We have to drill down to find out the real number and what pages were hit.

I don’t do search engines, I don’t do the RSS feed, I have limited email subs, so what the heck is causing the increase in hit? Don’t you think this is a bigger problems than having everyone at a offsite party?

matt
    Staff

Eyeonearlyeducation — That’s not what is happening so don’t worry about it.

Spinningstar — I wouldn’t recommend Sitemeter on WP.com, because it uses images instead of Javascript it isn’t really an accurate view of your stats or the reach of your audience.

The topic ‘wordpress.com as referrer’ is closed to new replies.